Devotees serve Vanipedia and Vanipedia serves the world - a success formula to save humanity
Collaborate with us to invoke and fully manifest Srila Prabhupada's Vani-presence.
Multi-language Subtitle Project
- 1 Uniting Śrīla Prabhupāda's Multi-lingual Family
- 2 Introduction
- 3 Languages of the World
- 4 Methodology
- 5 Getting Involved
- 6 1080 Videos
- 7 Starting Your Seva
- 8 Results So Far
- 9 Blessings Please
- 10 Tables Relating to the Project
- 11 Appreciations
Uniting Śrīla Prabhupāda's Multi-lingual Family
Prabhupada Speaks - Vanimedia's Multi-language Subtitle Project
Vanimedia (a petal of the Vanipedia) has created 1,080 video clips (1 to 15 minutes long) of Śrīla Prabhupāda's audio messages and is now subtitling them in multi-languages.
This is a collaborative project developed by devotees of Śrīla Prabhupāda who are coming together from all around the globe to create this unparalleled repository of his lectures and conversations subtitled in their own languages. To date 585 devotees have participated to create 32,750+ subtitles in 91 languages. As more of these videos are subtitled we facilitate people speaking various languages to see and hear from Śrīla Prabhupāda. We aspire to get to 108+ languages and 40,000 subtitles by February 2019 which commemorates the 53nd anniversary of Śrīla Prabhupāda's first ever recorded speech the introduction to the Bhagavad-gītā As It Is which he recorded in New York on the 19th and 20th of February 1966.
- Read on and see how you can be engaged in this glorious project.
For the first time in history, a powerful acarya in the authorised disciplic succession has left behind live sound recordings of his bhajans, conversations, talks and lectures. From the lotus lips of His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Śrīla Prabhupāda, we still have the opportunity to hear directly the illuminating explanations and deep realizations of the pure devotee as he preaches and practices the science of Krsna consciousness.
The unique effects of hearing from the pure devotee are described throughout the Srimad-Bhagavatam. In the Fourth Canto, chapter 20, verse 25, King Prthu prays:
"My dear Lord, You are glorified by the selected verses uttered by great personalities. Such glorification of Your lotus feet is just like saffron particles. When the transcendental vibration from the mouths of great devotees carries the aroma of the saffron dust of Your lotus feet, the forgetful living entity gradually remembers his eternal relationship with You. Devotees thus gradually come to the right conclusion about the value of life. My dear Lord, I therefore do not need any other benediction but the opportunity to hear from the mouth of Your pure devotee."
Śrīla Prabhupāda elaborates in the purport:
- "It is explained in the previous verse that one has to hear glorification of the Lord from the mouth of a pure devotee. This is further explained here. The transcendental vibration from the mouth of a pure devotee is so powerful that it can revive the living entity's memory of his eternal relationship with the Supreme Personality of Godhead. In our material existence, under the influence of illusory maya, we have almost forgotten our eternal relationship with the Lord, exactly like a man sleeping very deeply who forgets his duties. In the Vedas it is said that every one of us is sleeping under the influence of maya. We must get up from this slumber and engage in the right service, for thus we can properly utilize the facility of this human form of life. As expressed in a song by Thakura Bhaktivinoda, Lord Caitanya says, jiva jaga, jiva jaga. The Lord asks every sleeping living entity to get up and engage in devotional service so that his mission in this human form of life may be fulfilled. This awakening voice comes through the mouth of a pure devotee.
- A pure devotee always engages in the service of the Lord, taking shelter of His lotus feet, and therefore he has a direct connection with the saffron mercy-particles that are strewn over the lotus feet of the Lord. Although when a pure devotee speaks the articulation of his voice may resemble the sound of this material sky, the voice is spiritually very powerful because it touches the particles of saffron dust on the lotus feet of the Lord. As soon as a sleeping living entity hears the powerful voice emanating from the mouth of a pure devotee, he immediately remembers his eternal relationship with the Lord, although up until that moment he had forgotten everything.
- For a conditioned soul, therefore, it is very important to hear from the mouth of a pure devotee, who is fully surrendered to the lotus feet of the Lord without any material desire, speculative knowledge or contamination of the modes of material nature. Every one of us is kuyogi because we have engaged in the service of this material world, forgetting our eternal relationship with the Lord as His eternal loving servants. It is our duty to rise from the kuyoga platform to become suyogis, perfect mystics. The process of hearing from a pure devotee is recommended in all Vedic scriptures, especially by Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu. One may stay in his position of life -- it does not matter what it is -- but if one hears from the mouth of a pure devotee, he gradually comes to the understanding of his relationship with the Lord and thus engages in His loving service, and his life becomes completely perfect. Therefore, this process of hearing from the mouth of a pure devotee is very important for making progress in the line of spiritual understanding."
Having Śrīla Prabhupāda's audio available, with multi-language subtitles, facilitates all of his family members from around the globe to humbly and respectfully hear from him. In this way, no-one is barred from making their lives completely perfect. This project will surely prove to be one of the most uniting forces of Śrīla Prabhupāda's multi-lingual family situated in all corners of the planet. It will also help to increase the family members of Śrīla Prabhupāda by making it easy to introduce Śrīla Prabhupāda's messages to the people of all Nations.
Languages of the World
Here is a sheet of languages that we plan to have subtitled. The total number of people speaking these languages is 6,865,000,000, although bilingual speakers may be counted more than once. This list comprises the most-spoken languages of the world, and also the smaller European languages. If you would like to translate a language not listed here, please contact us and we will add it. In Dotsub, the online translating program that we use for subtitling, 485 languages are supported. Indeed there is no lack of languages to translate and Śrīla Prabhupāda instructed his GBC that printing and translation must continue, stating "this is my request." So here is a practical and effective way to satisfy Śrīla Prabhupāda's request to continue translating by subtitling his words in multiple languages.
This is a collaborative service being offered by followers of His Divine Grace AC Bhaktivedanta Swami Śrīla Prabhupāda, the Founder-Acarya of the International Society of Krsna Consciousness. Via collaboration difficult tasks become very easy. By building teams of translators it is possible to achieve these goals for Śrīla Prabhupāda's pleasure and to benefit the people of this world irrespective of which language they speak. All videos are accessed via Vanimedia.org and also via YouTube. By translating all 1,080 video clips in a local language we give people an unparalleled access to Śrīla Prabhupāda's spoken words.
the coordinating team is:
- facilitates the growth of the translating teams.
- trains new translators into the process.
- 1. We chose quotes from an existing pool of 75,000+ Vaniquotes pages.
- 2. We then created the audio file and placed them into the Clips to subtitle table.
- 3. We created the subtitles in English.
- 4. We uploaded the video with English subtitles into Dotsub for translating and in YouTube for viewing.
- 5. In Dotsub many translators can simultaneously translate into various languages.
- 6. When a language is completed in a Dotsub video it can then be synchronized with the YouTube video. We do this every Ekadasi.
- 7. We then create a Vanipedia page from the translation inserting both the audio link and the YouTube link within the page.
Become a Vanimedia translator
- You are familiar with translation from English into your mother language!
- You are not so familiar but you are confident that you could make a translation!
- You want to help your fellow countrymen to hear Śrīla Prabhupāda!
- You love to, or would love to, associate with Śrīla Prabhupāda's audio!
- You want to render some personal service to Śrīla Prabhupāda!
- You want to see Śrīla Prabhupāda's teachings distributed to every corner of the globe!
- You have an hour or two of spare time!
- You appreciate the power of collaborative efforts facilitating lots of people doing a little work to get super-excellent results!
Here is a great opportunity waiting for you, no matter how much time you are able to offer. We are recruiting translators who want to be part of this historical initiative.
You Will Experience
- direct association with Śrīla Prabhupāda as you translate his words!
- a personal offering, made by you, for the pleasure of Śrīla Prabhupāda!
- the joy of serving, with your multi-language family members, in a dynamic project!
- a team of enthused translators who stimulate you to offer your service with joy!
- a user friendly process!
- all assistance to perform your service nicely!
You Will Create
- an opportunity for people of your language to directly hear Śrīla Prabhupāda!
- a never before existing multi-language repository of Śrīla Prabhupāda's recorded words!
- a possibility for over 75% of the people of this planet to directly hear Śrīla Prabhupāda!
- the opportunity for Śrīla Prabhupāda to personally (via his sound vibration) enter into millions of peoples homes and hearts!
Start a Prabhupada-vani Embassy
The language teams can evolve into Embassies for each language. When an enthused devotee comes forward to accomplish this service, he or she can become the Ambassador of that language, and inspire many people to participate. If you like to inspire and coordinate people then please contact us for a skype interview.
108+ Introductions to Bhagavad-gita As It Is - a call to mission
On 20 February 2018 devotees will be celebrating the 52nd anniversary of Śrīla Prabhupāda speaking his Introduction to Bhagavad-gītā As It Is.
Vanipedia is organizing the ideal gift to offer Śrīla Prabhupāda on this special day and requests your participation. We want to translate Śrīla Prabhupāda’s Introduction to Bhagavad-gītā As It Is into 108+ languages.
Śrīla Prabhupāda is a great strategist determined to spread Krishna consciousness all over the world. His strategy is clearly centered on the translations and distribution of his books. He had full faith that his teachings could bring about a spiritual revolution in the hearts of people from all lands and thus he instructed his devotees to translate his books into all languages. Our lives brighten up and take on real meaning when we assist him in this work. We hanker to experience Śrīla Prabhupāda’s oceanic smile expressing his gratitude to us for continuing his mission.
Śrīla Prabhupāda wrote in a letter to one of his GBC men: Please print as many books as possible, this is my real pleasure. By printing these books of our Krsna Conscious philosophy in so many different languages we can actually inject our movement into the masses of persons all over the world, especially there in the western countries and we can literally turn whole nations into Krsna Conscious nations. (Letter to Hrdayananda Maharaj on 21st December 1974)
To a devotee who was helping him to translate the 1st canto of the Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam into Spanish Śrīla Prabhupāda wrote: I am in due receipt of the Spanish edition of the Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam first Canto, Chapters 12-15, and I thank you very much. These books are the life of human society. Others may be disturbed, but they cannot disturb this Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam. Let any man come, but here they cannot touch. We are putting these books for deliberation before the topmost thinkers of human society. Therefore, I have to see that in all languages all of our books are published. If we strain, and if he takes one book home, someday people will come to understand what valuable knowledge they have received. It is transcendental literature. Nobody can challenge it. It is done so nicely, without any spot, the spotless Purana. Please continue like this to print books in all the languages for the benefit of suffering, misdirected humanity. (Letter to Puranjana dasa on 4th May 1976)
Just a few months before Śrīla Prabhupāda physically left this world he stated: So now you all GBC make a plan how to introduce the books in every home. The same policy in other languages also. America is English language. Similarly, we can do here also in Hindi language, in Oriya language, or in Europe. So we have got much work ahead. Don't think our business is finished. No. Simply very intelligent we have to do it. (Conversation in Bhuvansevara on 29th of January 1977)
A little while later Śrīla Prabhupāda said: Every house should have our books, every gentleman, in any language. It doesn’t matter. That is our propaganda. Now you are getting all languages, so we can capture the whole world. (Conversation in Mayapur on the 16th February of 1977)
And just after that, while discussing the GBC resolutions Śrīla Prabhupāda remarked: Printing and translation must continue. That is our main business. It cannot be stopped. Must go on. Just like persisting, now we have got so many Hindi literatures. (laughing) I was simply persisting, “Where is Hindi?" So it has come to some tangible form. (Conversation in Mayapur on 1st of March 1977)
Śrīla Prabhupāda left this world before his work was finished and still today, after 4 decades, our master’s work is not completed. While dedicated devotees have translated Śrīla Prabhupāda’s Bhagavad-gītā As It Is into 59 languages, compared to the Bible’s 636 languages, we see that there is still a lot of scope for our expansion. To stimulate an increase in the number of languages, Vanipedia has initiated a groundbreaking project to translate the Introduction to Bhagavad-gītā As It Is into 108+ languages by February 2018, coinciding with the 52nd anniversary of Śrīla Prabhupāda first recording it. During the past five years we developed a streamlined process of translating and have engaged over 586 devotees from 91 different languages to subtitle 1,080 short YouTube video clips of Śrīla Prabhupāda’s lectures over 32,750 times. Recently we created 24 video clips of the 3 hours & 12 minutes recording of the Introduction to Bhagavad-gītā As It Is - each 8 minutes long. We already have 60 languages completed and 12 in process with others warming up to start. It takes only 24 hours to complete one language.
As this project develops, not only will people be able to read the Introduction in their own language, but they will also be able to hear Śrīla Prabhupāda’s voice in these short YouTube clips. This will surely stimulate greater interest in Śrīla Prabhupāda, the Bhagavad-gītā philosophy and dedication to translate the full book into more languages. We invite devotees to bless this noble effort and participate by translating in your own language. If you are interested, please contact Visnu Murti by email: [email protected]
We want to offer to the worldwide followers of Śrīla Prabhupāda at least 1,080 of these 1 to 10 minute video clips of Śrīla Prabhupāda's spoken words - all subtitled with at least 32 and up to 108 languages. Please support this effort generously by joining one of the language teams, or finding translators. As of September 2016, 13 languages have completed the 1,080 videos.
How long will this take?
One clip takes about an hour to translate. 108 clips will take 108 hours and 1,080 clips will take about 1,080 hours. If we manage to do them in 50 languages then these are the time frames we are looking at.
- 108 clips in 50 languages will take a collective amount of 5,400 hours of translating.
- 1080 clips in 50 languages will take a collective amount of 54,000 hours of translating.
Wow, that sounds like a lot. But if we build up teams it is not much for an individual to do.
Let's say we get an average of 5 translators for each language. Then, the individual "service time" to offer would only be 22 hours per person to complete the first 108 clips, and only 216 hours to complete the 1,080 clips.
If we have an average of 10 translators for each language, then the individual "service time" to offer would only be 11 hours per person to complete the first 108 clips, and only 108 hours to complete the 1,080 clips.
Now I am sure you see where we are going with this? That's right! The more devotees blissfully involved, the less effort that has to be made by each individual.
Let's look at this scenario. An average of 20 translators per language works out to be less than 6 hours of service to complete 108 clips and 54 hours to complete the 1,080 clips.
In just 9 weeks, a single language can be completed, with 1,080 clips, if we have 20 devotees offering 6 hours of service a week.
Through collaboration, wonderful things are possible. Let's enthusiastically get this glorious project up and running. Our goal is to complete the full 1,080 clips (in at least 20 languages) by Śrīla Prabhupāda's Vyasa Puja festival of 2017. As of Vyasa Puja 2016 we now have 13 languages completed.
Starting Your Seva
If you want to help then please follow the directions here and with only 1 hour or less of service you will have translated a video into a new language. If you know of devotees who can translate the missing languages then please share this link with them. Any questions can be asked by sending us an email.
In order to facilitate the large volume of work needed to achieve our goals we have opted for using an online website (Dotsub.com) to subtitle the clips into each language. This dedicated platform for multi-language translations has 495 languages waiting for Śrīla Prabhupāda's words to be translated in.
- Process for translating videos at DotSub.com:
- Go to DotSub.com Sign up for free. Choose your username and password;
- E-mail your username. Please introduce yourself - where you are from, what is your first language, where you live now;
- Your username will be added to the Vanimedia Translators group at DotSub, and you will receive an email from us confirming this and with your first assigned videos. Belonging to the Vanimedia Translators group enables you to translate any of Śrīla Prabhupāda’s videos into any language;
- You can find all the videos we have uploaded to Dotsub listed at this address - http://dotsub.com/view/user/vanimedia and you can choose videos to translate from the Clips to subtitle list and you can see which videos are still not translated in your language here - http://tinyurl.com/translatorsSubtitles
- Principle of translating: As this is conversational English, it does not have to be done completely literally. Rather, it is important to translate in a way that your readers will understand the messages that Śrīla Prabhupāda delivers.
- If your language does not have a specific way of writing Sanskrit then copy the Sanskrit words directly from the English subtitles so that you will retain all of the diacritic marks in your subtitle.
- On the right of the video under Caption and Translate to choose your language;
- Click the ‘Translate’ button;
- If you like, you can get suggestions from Google Translate in each field. If your language is supported by Google translate, there will be an option to do this just above where you choose your source language;
- Place your translation under each English line;
- You may also listen to the video, pause, and go back or forward as you translate;
- By pressing ENTER each line of your translation is saved and the percentage for that language is updated;
- Translators may stop at any time and continue later;
- Translations can be easily edited for corrections by yourself or any anyone in the Vanimedia Translators group by following the same procedures to translate;
- When you have 100% finished a language, please watch the video again with your subtitles to check you are satisfied with the result, and then send an email to us confirming the 100% completion. We will then be able to properly administer the video;
- When translations are at 100% they will be synced to YouTube by DotSub admin account;
- Whenever you re-edit a 100% completed translation please notify us at the above address so we know to re-sync the updated translation with YouTube;
- Translations may also be downloaded as text (.txt) or text with the video timings (.srt) to be saved and read offline. (Choose 'Text File (.txt)' or 'SubRip (.srt)' from the drop-down box above the language list on the right), then just click on the language name in the list to download;
- When translations are confirmed to be correct the editing function can be turned off.
- Other information/features of DotSub:
- Groups can be created for individual videos as well as one group for all videos;
- DotSub facilitates 495 different languages.
- Videos are uploaded and synced to YouTube from within DotSub by the Vanipedia Translation Admins twice a month;
- Beneath each video is a Transcription tab (third tab from left). This shows the full text of the chosen language;
- As the video plays this transcription text highlights as words are spoken;
- The transcription text is made up of all of the subtitle lines so by selecting any parts of the text you can jump to different places in the video.
- Subtitle font color and size can be changed in the Settings of the YouTube player - press Options;
- Subtitle options can be turned on or off by clicking on the Subtitles/CC icon (rectangular with CC in middle) at the bottom right of the video player (fourth icon from the right).
- Languages can be selected by clicking the Settings icon (small spiky wheel) at the bottom right of the video player (third icon from the right).
- Useful links:-
- For all assistance please contact us.
Results So Far
We launched this project in the beginning of March 2013 and by the 27th of March Gaura Purnima we had our first video clip with 34 subtitles ready. Click here to play our first - history in the making clip. (on the video, click the "captions" button to select your language.) We now have 1080 video clips uploaded, and so far 566 translators assisted by 20 others have translated over 32,750 subtitles in 91 languages. Here you can see the our results. 20 languages have completed the 1080 videos. Keep coming back to watch these results grow, or better still become part of it and help it grow.
We encourage dedication and commitment from our volunteers with the clear understanding that by performing vaniseva to Śrīla Prabhupāda's teachings, in a collaborative environment, we offer to Śrīla Prabhupāda gifts that he has always shown a deep appreciation to receive. We thank all the people who are building Vanipedia and offer these recognitions.
- The first pilot-project video was published on the 19th March 2013, and the 2nd video on 7th May 2013;
- As of the 10th of June 2013 we have published our first 108 videos (10% done) in 35 days - that averages at 3.06 a day!
- As of the 5th of July 2013 we have published our second 108 videos (20% done) in 25 days - that averages at 4.32 a day!
- As of the 19th of July 2013 we have published 270 videos (25% done) in a total of only 74 days - that averages at 3.65 a day!
- As of the 7th of August 2013 we have published our third 108 videos (30% done) in 33 days - that averages at 3.27 a day! (1610 subtitles)
- August 29th - Srila Prabhupada's Vyasa Puja - Our multi-language subtitle project reaches 396 videos, subtitled a total 2009 times in 42 languages. 86 translators and 5 assistants have participated so far.
- As of the 4th of September 2013 we have published our fourth set of 108 videos (40% done) in 28 days - that averages at 3.86 a day! (2139 subtitles)
- As of the 26th of September 2013 - 48th Anniversary arrival of Srila Prabhupada in the West - we have published our fifth set of 108 videos (50% done) in 22 days - that averages at 4.91 a day! (2671 subtitles in 43 languages kindly translated by 93 devotees and assisted by 6 others) - first 50% (540 videos) created in only 143 days - that averages at 3.78 a day!
- October 6th 2013 - 36th Disappearance Anniversary of Srila Prabhupada - Our multi-language subtitle project has 546 videos, subtitled a total of 3090 times in 46 languages. 105 translators and 6 assistants have participated so far.
- November 30th 2013 - on the eve of our 6th annual Srila Prabhupada vanimarathon - Our multi-language subtitle project has 546 videos, subtitled a total of 3425 times in 49 languages. 121 translators and 6 assistants have participated so far. The VanimediaMayapur YouTube channel has been viewed 16,188 times.
- December 31st 2013 Our multi-language subtitle project has 546 videos, subtitled a total of 4,250 times in 51 languages. 129 translators and 6 assistants have participated so far. The VanimediaMayapur YouTube channel has been viewed 18,054 times. So far, one video has subtitles for 49 languages, 8 videos have subtitles for 30 or more languages, 29 videos have subtitles for 20 or more languages, 92 videos have subtitles for 15 or more languages, 154 videos have subtitles for 10 or more languages and 285 videos have subtitles for 5 or more languages.
- February 3rd, 2014 Our multi-language subtitle project reaches 556 videos, subtitled a total of 5,008 times in 54 languages. 141 translators and 6 assistants have participated so far. The VanimediaMayapur YouTube channel has been viewed 20,085 times. So far, one video has subtitles for 53 languages, 13 videos have subtitles for 30 or more languages, 39 videos have subtitles for 20 or more languages, 111 videos have subtitles for 15 or more languages, 164 videos have subtitles for 10 or more languages and 471 videos have subtitles for 5 or more languages.
- March 16th, 2014 Our multi-language subtitle project reaches 640 videos, subtitled a total of 5,557 times in 55 languages. 152 translators and 6 assistants have participated so far. The VanimediaMayapur YouTube channel has been viewed 25,250 times. So far, one video has subtitles for 55 languages, 4 videos have subtitles for 35 or more languages, 13 videos have subtitles for 30 or more languages, 26 videos have subtitles for 25 or more languages, 53 videos have subtitles for 20 or more languages, 132 videos have subtitles for 15 or more languages, 185 videos have subtitles for 10 or more languages and 544 videos have subtitles for 5 or more languages.
- May 13th, 2014 - Nrsimha Caturdasi Our multi-language subtitle project reaches 640 videos, subtitled a total of 6,665 times in 58 languages. 180 translators and 6 assistants have participated so far. The VanimediaMayapur YouTube channel has been viewed 30,525 times. So far, one video has subtitles for 58 languages, 4 videos have subtitles for 40 or more languages, 11 videos have subtitles for 35 or more languages, 18 videos have subtitles for 30 or more languages, 31 videos have subtitles for 25 or more languages, 73 videos have subtitles for 20 or more languages, 152 videos have subtitles for 15 or more languages, 200 videos have subtitles for 10 or more languages and 598 videos have subtitles for 5 or more languages.
- July 18th, 2014 - Our multi-language subtitle project reaches 650 videos, subtitled a total of 7,559 times in 64 languages. 198 translators and 6 assistants have participated so far. The VanimediaMayapur YouTube channel has been viewed 42,104 times. So far one video has subtitles for 64 languages, 2 videos have subtitles for 50+ languages, 5 videos have subtitles for 45+ languages, 9 videos have subtitles for 40+ languages, 14 videos have subtitles for 35+ languages, 27 videos have subtitles for 30+ languages, 36 videos have subtitles for 25+ languages, 87 videos have subtitles for 20+ languages, 161 videos have subtitles for 15+ languages, 255 videos have subtitles for 10+ languages and 641 videos have subtitles for 5+ languages.
- August 18th, 2014 - Srila Prabhupada's Vyasa Puja - Our multi-language subtitle project reaches 660 videos, subtitled a total of 8,020 times in 65 languages. 206 translators and 6 assistants have participated so far. The VanimediaMayapur YouTube channel has been viewed 45,950 times. So far one video has subtitles for 65 languages, 4 videos have subtitles for 50+ languages, 8 videos have subtitles for 45+ languages, 12 videos have subtitles for 40+ languages, 17 videos have subtitles for 35+ languages, 31 videos have subtitles for 30+ languages, 39 videos have subtitles for 25+ languages, 93 videos have subtitles for 20+ languages, 163 videos have subtitles for 15+ languages, 273 videos have subtitles for 10+ languages and 650 videos have subtitles for 5+ languages.
- November 30th, 2014 - On the eve of our 7th annual Srila Prabhupada vanimarathon - Our multi-language subtitle project has 849 videos, subtitled a total of 10,713 times in 71 languages. 242 translators and 6 assistants have participated so far. The VanimediaMayapur YouTube channel has been viewed 66,051 times.
- December 31st, 2014 - At the end of our 7th annual Srila Prabhupada vanimarathon Reached 14,572 categories, 129,406 pages, 2,023,892 quotes, 797,070 edits and a total of 34,977,297 page views. Our multi-language subtitle project has 1000 videos, subtitled a total of 13,395 times in 75 languages. 264 translators and 6 assistants have participated so far. The VanimediaMayapur YouTube channel has been viewed 74,515 times.
- Total results for the Vanifun marathon of December 2014 was 101 participants subtitling 2688 videos in 51 languages.
- February 1st, 2015 - Lord Nityananda's Appearance Day - We completed the production of the 1080 videos with English subtitles and launched the Introduction to Bhagavad-gita 108+ languages project.
- May 2nd, 2015 - Nrsimha Caturdasi Our multi-language subtitle project has subtitled 1,080 video clips a total of 15,488 times in 77 languages. have participated so far. Approximately 25,000 hours of collaborative devotional service have been performed by 301 translators and 9 assistants. The VanimediaMayapur YouTube channel has been viewed 114,500 times. We launched our multi-language presence directly in Vanipedia by starting with 7009 pages in 77 languages.
- September 17th - 50th Anniversary of Srila Prabhupada Arriving in USA - Our multi-language subtitle project with 1080 videos has been subtitled a total of 18,280 times in 85 languages. 351 translators and 11 assistants have participated so far. The VanimediaMayapur YouTube channel has been viewed 183,755 times.
- Our Introduction to Bhagavad-gita 108+ languages 50th anniversary project is 8 months old. We have completed 41 languages, 20 are in process and 16 others are committed to start. 1,107 subtitles have been made - leaving 1,485 to get to the total of 2,592 subtitles (24 videos in 108 languages.)
- 20 February 2016 - Our Introduction to Bhagavad-gita 108+ languages 50th anniversary project gets to 51 completed languages and 15 in process. 1,346 subtitles have been made - leaving 1,246 to get to the total of 2,592 subtitles (24 videos in 108 languages.)
We are now aiming for the 51st anniversary to complete the 108 languages.
- March 3rd - The VanimediaMayapur YouTube channel has been viewed 300,507 times. It took 68 days to get from 250,000 to 300,000 views. We also reached 21,670 subtitles.
- April 28th - The VanimediaMayapur YouTube channel has been viewed 350,472 times. It took 56 days to get from 300,000 to 350,000 views. We also reached 22,325 subtitles.
- May 10th 2016 - Our multi-language subtitle project with 1080 videos has been subtitled a total of 22,800 times in 87 languages. 457 translators and 16 assistants have participated so far. The VanimediaMayapur YouTube channel has been viewed 361,250 times.
- June 18th - The VanimediaMayapur YouTube channel has been viewed 400,248 times. It took 51 days to get from 350,000 to 400,000 views. We also reached 23,580 subtitles.
- July 13 - ISKCON's 50th birthday - Our multi-language subtitle project has reached 1080 videos, subtitled a total of 24,040 times in 87 languages. 484 translators and 14 assistants have participated so far. The VanimediaMayapur YouTube channel has been viewed 425,589 times.
- November 4 - Srila Prabhupada's Disappearance Day - Our multi-language subtitle project has reached 1080 videos, subtitled a total of 25,603 times in 87 languages. 496 translators and 19 assistants have participated so far. The VanimediaMayapur YouTube channel has been viewed 543,204 times.
- October 5 - First day of Kartika - Our multi-language subtitle project has reached 1080 videos, subtitled a total of 30,038 times in 90 languages. 552 translators and 20 assistants have participated so far. The VanimediaMayapur YouTube channel has been viewed 1,236,909 times.
- November 30th, 2017 - On the eve of our 10th annual Srila Prabhupada vanimarathon - Our multi-language subtitle project has 1080 videos, subtitled a total of 31,213 times in 90 languages. 561 translators and 20 assistants have participated so far. The VanimediaMayapur YouTube channel has been viewed 1,416,822 times.
Desiring to unit and expand Śrīla Prabhupāda's Multi-lingual family, we pray for the blessings of the Vaisnavas. We are gearing up to make hundreds of small audio clips with multi-language subtitles, thus facilitating people from every corner of the world, speaking as many languages as possible, to directly hear and understand Śrīla Prabhupāda's sublime message of truth and love.
Tables Relating to the Project
February 2015 Newsletter
Experiences from Translators
Tero, Finnish - Despite that it is nectarine, I sometimes feel a little sad, when I translate Prabhupada's words, because I get this longing for Prabhupada. Because I could not have met this wonderful person, to offer my obeisances, to witness his actions, when he was on this planet, to sit in the crowd of devotees. When I read about him, I want to be there with the first devotees. Missing Srila Prabhupada's presence, and all these exalted personalities I read of, sometimes makes me a little sad. Or perhaps its actually that I'm not so very Krsna conscious, that I feel that way.
Patrick, German - If you have read the Lilamrita, or any other Prabhupada biography for that matter, you might have been thinking to yourself, "If only I could have been there too." But, as we know, Srila Prabhupada's Vani is non-different from him, so we are still blessed with Srila Praphupada's presence in a profound way. Nonetheless, if reading is still not enough for you, some of the inventions of modern times do come in handy here, by still providing us with the actual spoken words of Srila Prabhupada in sound. Listening to the, indeed quite numerous, audios of Srila Prabhupada is a wonderful way to connect to him and are forever instructive. Not only can we hear him speaking in his own voice, but we can hear him directly address his disciples, laugh, joke, hammer the point, express his humble devotion or simply ridicule the absurdity of material life.
Of course, all these audios are in English and need to be made available in as many languages as possible. Even among mundane topics one can always check if he has understood a text by translating it into another language. The same goes here for the instruction of the pure devotee. Not only does the service of translating entail meditating on Prabhupada's word, but in the process, the translator is also rendering what Srila Prabhupada stressed so many times as the most important service - making his instructions available to others. Therefore the service of translating is simple ecstasy for anyone willing to work with language - with thought and heart - entering into the early pastimes of ISKCON by joining Srila Praphupada's young disciples all over the world, awaiting with anticipation as he delivers his personal instruction in classes, interviews and conversations. We can experience what made our now-seniors ditch everything as they heard Prabhupada's call to run forward to be part of this glorious movement.
Marina, Portuguese (Brazil) - I'm so grateful that because of Srila Prabhupada's and Lord Krishna's mercy I had the chance to get in contact with Visnu Murti prabhu, who is very enthusiastic and supportive in engaging devotees in Vaniseva, and I was able to become a translator in the multi-language family project at Vanipedia. It's very inspiring to participate and see other Vaishnavas worldwide being part of this project, and spread Srila Prabhupada's message in Krishna consciousness. May Srila Prabhupada and Lord Krishna bless us so that we can keep doing our Vaniseva, and this way please Srila Prabhupada and Lord Krishna for many years. Jay Srila Prabhupada! Hare Krishna!
Ananda Bhakti Devi Dasi, Spanish - Vaniseva came to my life just at the moment that I asked Krsna for understanding and help. Now there are so many wonderful Vaishnavas who are supporting me by being enthusiastic, sincere, real and helpful. Listening to Srila Prabhupada gives us a real connection to his vani and in this way we are learning to act. All our doubts disappear in his association. I would like to spend all day listening Srila Prabhupada and translating his words so that others can read his message, and feel connected with the seva as well. Thanks to all Vaisnavas involved. I feel blessed and protected in the association of Srila Prabhupada. Jaya Vaniseva, Jaya Srila Prabhupada.
Tunde, Hungarian - It's been like a miracle to be fed with the sagacious words of Srila Prabhupada. The only thing is, one can not get enough from his spiritual nourishment. So let's keep pushing on this project. :-)
Padmavati Visaka Devi Dasi, Spanish - I just want to cooperate in the best way to build Srila Prabhupada's Vani-temple soon, so that his teachings can continue touching hearts and changing lives. I feel honored to be able to put a small brick to build his Vani-temple. This is my offering of love and sincere gratitude to him. Thank you for giving me this privilege.
Vesna, Slovenian - By sorting out this text to write I started to realize, how actually my life is starting to be sorted out. The word "closer" is the best one for describing these feelings. I have started to have inner motivation. So many simple truths are written within Prabhupada's texts. Another good thing is to be able to learn some meanings of Sanskrit words. Hrsikesa is just one of them - Krsna is the master of my senses. I'll keep translating to continue this amazing learning experience. Please join us in service.
Bahulasva Dasa, Swedish - Srila Prabhupada can, from just a small video clip of only 5-6 minutes, convince anybody to take up Krishna consciousness from any kind of angle. He is simply so convincing, not only by words, but by his relaxed way and gestures. He has such a genuine appearance, so trustful. Thank you again and again for giving me his association by this service.
Tatjana, Macedonian - When my best well-wisher Akrura Prabhu encouraged me to translate videos for Vanipedia, I was very very scared how I will answer that puzzle and how I will handle this special spiritual translation. It seemed to be very difficult, But it wasn't. It was real transcendental pleasure with so much joy and now it keeps on going to be even more interesting. When I shared that to my Guru Maharaj, my new translation experience, He was so happy and satisfied. Wow, That is purest Prabhupada's Mercy!
Vanipedia is one of the best and smartest projects, I've ever seen on the Internet. With great leadership from Visnu Murti Prabhu and so many dedicated devotees competing with each other to translate as much as they can. Splendid! Thank you so much for the mercy to translate and do something for Prabhupada's Mission!
Ratnavali Devi Dasi, Portuguese (Brazil) - In the last 7 days I committed myself to translate 8 videos a day to close an important cycle, both for me and for the Vanipedia project. On Sunday (yesterday) I managed to complete this goal. Many other translations will come but this was a very important milestone for me. In these seven days I could advance as never before, in understanding, and in devotion to the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Krishna. I attribute this progress to the still living presence of Srila Prabhupada through these recordings. Just as the maha-mantra, while chanted, brings Krishna to our tongues, Prabhupada's chanting nowadays brings the presence of Prabhupada to our reality.
While Prabhupada's books are meant for our intelligence, his sound vibration - the sound of Prabhupada's voice is meant for our hearts. Prabhupada believed that his books were his greatest contribution to the Krishna consciousness movement and the sound of his voice is also such a great mercy. Even if you don't understand English, the words, they will reach your heart, but they will not reach your intelligence. In the spiritual method that Prabhupada has taught us it is important to cultivate both the intelligence and the heart. Thus his books and his spoken words are a perfect combination and translating his words gives people in all languages the impetus to hear!
Vanipedia has brought to people like me, and you, the possibility to listen and understand, as if Prabhupada would still be alive, the possibility to realize how powerful his words are. So far, Vanipedia project has launched 82 languages, a total of 17,224 translations. That's amazing!
Besides that, the Vanipedia project is allowing people who live away from the temple or have family commitments, as myself, to practice bhakti-yoga inside our homes, receiving some many wonderful instructions from His Divine Grace Srila Prabhupada. Now, nobody can give excuses that "I don't have time" or that "I live far away from the temple" or that "I don't have enough money to buy the books" Almost everything we need is inside Vanipedia. So, do your duty of vaniseva, chant Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare, and be happy!
Ronald, Dutch - I'm feeling blessed that this mission came to me. At first I was disappointed by my Radhadesh visit in June, I was seeking contact with devotees but they were all so busy... But in the morning lecture by Tattvavit das there came a question from a devotee and the answer was directly applicable to my situation. He even looked me directly into my eyes. And later that morning I met you and your wife, it was a blessed day!
Bhakta Lawesh - Tansen, Nepal Vanipedia team - HG Vishnu Murti Prabhuji has asked me to share some of the things that we are undergoing to do the translation works for Uniting Srila Prabhupada's Multi-lingual family. With translations of five languages undertaken here in Tansen, Nepal we have lots of challenges to turn Tansen into an ecstatic Vanipedia base. We are trying to do the translation work of Maithili, Newari, Magar, Achami and Nepali.
Here in Nepal as a whole, people are not so much educated in computer skills and English language. Although we are based in Tansen, we have devotees performing vaniseva from all over the country. In most places there is no Internet connection, so we have to print the materials to translate here in Tansen, and send it to the next place Butwal from where there is a regular bus to the place where the transcriptions reaches the devotee who will gradually do the translation work and then send it back to us whenever the opportunity comes.
Some devotees come forward expressing desire that they would like to help and then they just disappear and there is no way that we can contact them as many do not use most of the communication facilities that is generally used.
Tansen is a small place and we have a congregation of around 50 devotees which is gradually building up and myself the only brahmacari working actively to serve all these devotees. So there is always some kind of engagements, and programs each day so it is not possible for us to have concentrated attention to the translations. Our challenges while doing the translation work are many, and I feel much pain that I am not able to participate to the degree this project deserves attention.
We have two devotees who are inside Tansen doing the translation work and what they do is translate taking help of those who are better acquainted with the language. They write down on paper the whole thing and when finished, give me the paper, and then I give that to our typist devotee, who is also facing challenges. He has his college and with long hours of study likes to take nice rest also, I just cannot push him to do the work quickly. Whenever he is comfortable and feels like typing will inform me of his availability and then I pass my laptop to him and he gradually does the work of typing the whole thing in Nepali text into MS word. Then making additional corrections I change that into unicode through a website which we found after much endeavor.
Another challenge we face is whenever the weather gets worse, even a light rain, the electricity is gone and with it the internet also, thus leaving us completely stranded with the service of translation. Only after some quality struggles are our services completed.
Still by the merciful blessings of Srila Prabhupada, HH Mahavishnu Maharaja, HG Vishnu Murti Prabhuji and all the Vaishnava devotees we are somehow or other able to participate in this great mission of compassion and all the translations are gradually unfolding. Although Mahavishnu Maharaja once mentioned to me that Tansen, Nepal has become an ecstatic Vanipedia base with 5 languages in hand, to fulfill his words to it's truest sense we will have to be more enthusiastic and determined. We do aspire to do so sincerely as there is no greater joy than to share Srila Prabhupada's words with our fellow countrymen.
I hope that whatever we tried to share herein will enthuse devotees to take this great mission more seriously specially those who have all the facilities in hand to do so. Do not be discouraged if there is some small obstacles, Krsna will surely help you as he is helping us.
Madhaviya Devi Dasi, Portuguese (Brazil) - Something amazing happened yesterday as I was translating 0196. This class contains the essence of what Srila Prabhupada spoke to me in that dream. It happened exactly on the same day that I told you about my dream. Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to regain that message and to clarify it more and more inside my heart and mind. Vani Seva Ki Jay!
Prabhupada Vani Devi Dasi, Kannada - Regarding my experience, it is wonderful because translating requires lots of thinking, searching for proper words, making sentences in different ways and seeing which one is more appropriate. As a result I must dive deeply into Śrīla Prabhupāda's words which makes me strikingly understand just how important it is for me to be Krishna conscious in this human life. As Śrīla Prabhupāda explains in one of the introduction to Bhagavad-gītā clips "we have to mold all our activities of life in such a way that we can remember Krishna always," I think through this service, we can mold our life in a way that we always think of what Śrīla Prabhupāda has said, and therefore it is the highest form of devotional service.
Haripriya Dasa, Nepali - I just finished translating my first video. The experience was superb prabhu. I cannot express in words this blissful feeling. I started little late today as I was tired when I got home from work. It took me little longer as I am writing in Nepali after a long time. Honestly speaking, I haven't written anything in Nepali in 7 years after coming to USA. So, I also got opportunity to write in my own language. It helped me to refresh my memory.
Lawesh, Magar - It is our great fortune to be able to participate in this mission of translating Śrīla Prabhupāda words into Magar language for the first time ever in the history of this particular time scale of Kali yuga. I can see how the devotees who are involved in it are becoming spiritually rejuvenated just by their tiny input and contribution. I was longing in my heart to somehow come closer to the teachings of Prabhupāda and with this service I feel the reciprocation of the Lord by allowing us to render some service and entitle us for the Lord's and Prabhupāda's mercy and thus allowing the message of Prabhupāda to penetrate deeper and deeper through ours and others' hearts.
I feel the more we will try to dedicate and give our heart unto this service, we will be able to obtain the cherished goal of really internalizing the Vani of Prabhupāda forever in our hearts. Thus I feel greatly thankful to HH Mahavishnu Swami Maharaja for so kindly engaging us in this service.
Although it seems a simple task, there were many impediments that came our way in the beginning of translating, due to our being totally new, but Visnu Murti Prabhu patiently tolerated, always encouraging us so kindly which is also very touching to the heart and encouraging us to work harder.
To present this translation, it was mainly done by Laxmi mataji ([email protected]), one of our student devotees who translated the whole thing into Magar and the text was typed by Sundar Prabhu our next student devotee who is also staying with me in our student centre here at Tansen. These were the main people who did this work, besides them other devotees from congregation helped us by providing us with house to come together, giving us advice and internet facilities. Overall, the service has given us encouragement and joy to serve even more enthusiastically.
Dauji Krsna Dasa, Croatian - Death is so obvious here in Mayapur. It is good to sometime remember about our body's final destination. Thank you kindly for engaging me in this "happy feeling of being alive service" to HDG Śrīla Prabhupāda. Such a great knowledge we have, now we just have to realize.
Paulius, Lithuanian - I just said to myself that I should just sit and translate daily, no matter how much, maybe just a few words but daily, and now I like this routine. And usually every time when I start to translate I spend more time than I was planning, and I stay inspired by Śrīla Prabhupāda's words.
Amala Prema Devi Dasi, Turkish - Hare Krsna, Today I have completed 1041, 1042, 1043, 1044, 1045. - I haven't been a warrior today. But exactly those 5 videos were answers to some debate we had in the morning after our BG study and breakfast at the center. Tomorrow I will get one Krsna friend to hear those five because he needs to hear those as an answer to his own ideas. You cannot believe how interesting all five of them relates to what we had been discussing. Śrīla Prabhupāda is always such an authorized, equipoised and dedicated guide to Krsna and şastra. He speaks the best of words, answers in the best way, the best to debate and the best to serve and give.
Gauri Gopika Devi Dasi, Portuguese (Brazil) - Translating these lectures on the 1966 Introduction to the Bhagavad-gītā has been a very important experience in my spiritual life. This service is so simple and yet so incredible, and even as I write this I am still trying to realize why.
Of course, it is direct association with Śrīla Prabhupāda, which is in itself enough to make it extraordinary. But there's definitely something more to it. The fact that I did it during a period of only 8 days also increases its impact; It's just like a book distribution marathon, or any concentrated effort in devotional service, and yet it has a unique taste to it. The more we translate, the closer we feel to Śrīla Prabhupāda; and the more we feel his guiding hand and hear him, the more he becomes alive through his teachings. Just like through his books and all of his vani. But it is not just him through his Bhagavad-gītā that we are hearing; it is Śrīla Prabhupāda with his heavy accent, his strong and melodious voice - in 1966 - freshly preaching to us the very basics of what would come to be a great spiritual revolution - all of this in such a unique and personal way. There's a very special feeling to it, some special intimacy that we are mercifully given through this service.
It is a very personal service to Śrīla Prabhupāda. With each video, I was living with him and he was talking to me, preaching to me, inviting me to take part in the Krsna consciousness movement and to bring others to it, in such a specially personal way. Maybe because it felt like I was assisting him to write, as if he was letting me take part in the very foundations of ISKCON. He was dictating, and I was simply his hand, writing it in another language, expanding it to another part of this planet so it reaches more and more souls. He wants all of us to assist him in building this society where the whole world can find shelter.
Only now I realize that translating these videos added enormously to a very important foundation in my heart, that of my unique relationship with the Founder-Acarya of ISKCON. Any distance suggested by this title, just like the one we may feel by not having seen him physically, is definitely vanquished by this service. We understand at once the Founder-Acarya and the loving father, the spiritual master that established an institution from where he firmly but very compassionately and, above all, very personally comes to each one of us and begs, "please perfect your life, please read this literature, please chant Hare Krsna and be happy, and please kindly help me spread this message to everyone else." These are the foundations of his society for Krsna consciousness, and now it is up to us to constantly choose to serve its purpose, to serve Śrīla Prabhupāda's desire.
I could never actually realize why those first disciples were so crazy about him, but by the mercy of some devotees, through this service I guess I am getting some feeling of it. We are given a glimpse of Śrīla Prabhupāda's heart as he lets us in to become his writing-hand in all the languages of the world; it also gives us this sense of connection to all the other devotees, and not only those doing this service. It is impossible not to become overwhelmed with gratitude for such a magnanimous, pure-hearted being who truly loves us. We just feel like giving him everything in an attempt to see him smile. And he must be smiling with so much pleasure to see this project growing. Thank you for kindly and mercifully engaging us in this service, all glories to Śrīla Prabhupāda, his devotees and Vanipedia's beautiful effort to subtitle his Introduction to Bhagavad-gītā in 108+ languages.
Alakananda Devi Dasi, Serbian - First video clip, 1057, is ready :o) It is really SUPER easy to do and at the same time very ecstatic.
Timur, Russian - There are situations we would call a magic opportunity. And such situations can be provided not by ordinary people, but those who know magic, the magicians. Often devotional service is also described as an opportunity, because it simply does not belong in this material universe. So one needs somebody to connect you with this energy which is only possible by mercy of guru and the devotees of Lord Krishna. This Vanipedia subtitles translation project was definitely the opportunity for me. From Visnu Murti prabhu I received my first japa-mala 5 years ago. I also received full trust then from Visnu Murti, because the subtitles translating gradually has made my English better. Participating in this project is giving a sense of responsibility and connection, which means two in one: the chance of doing bajana-kriya and yoga. But on top of all this is the confidential associating with the teachings of Śrīla Prabhupāda. One can easily imagine the good fortune to be his personal translator and companion. This is a chance for very wonderful association with Śrīla Prabhupāda's teachings and connection with the devotees wherever you go. Just open the link, contribute and relish, get purified, get better and do more... And stay at the spiritual platform!
I want to thank everyone who takes even on the smallest effort in spreading the teachings of Lord Caitanya and those who provide the magic connection! Vanipedia translating project ki, Jaya! Śrīla Prabhupāda ki, Jaya! Everyone who feels the capacity I kindheartedly invite to join in!
Barbara, Slovenian - I would just like to thank you for giving me the opportunity to do this service for Śrīla Prabhupāda. Even though I am just a beginner in translating I have noticed that with every video translated my attachment for Śrīla Prabhupāda grows and I really have the feeling like he is talking directly to me :)
Agnieta, Lithuanian - Your words about the Vani temple of sacred words are just astonishing and inspiring :) This is exactly what this project is doing and I feel blessed being a part of it. Thank you again and again for this opportunity - to hear and read Śrīla Prabhupāda's words closer, more deeply.
Yamuna Jivani Devi Dasi, Lithuanian - I have translated 0371, 0372 in Lithuanian. Feeling very happy and inspired, got them just on time, I mean in my life situation. Thank you for this service and for the light of Śrīla Prabhupāda's teachings :) Sorry for doing so slow , but still continuing and feeling that I am getting much more than I'm giving.
Dauji Krsna Dasa, Croatian - The best direct service of relishing and associating with dearest Śrīla Prabhupāda. Instant deliverance from the clutches of illusion.
Sive, Xhosa and Zulu - Who-ever thought, sitting down and typing just a few subtitles for a few minutes a day would be performing devotional service? Certainly not me. That is, until i got in touch with the Vanipedia warriors! I've done just a few video translations into Xhosa and Zulu, and all I can really think is that with every click of the mouse and tap of the keypad, I'm getting the most intimate association of Śrīla Prabhupāda, as well as doing what he did, what His spiritual master told him to do, what Lord Caitanya wants us all to do, preach the message of Krsna Consciousness to the world! Doesn't matter where we are, how old, or in my case how (un)intelligent, but we can all perform this great service and get some blessings from Śrīla Prabhupāda. Even if he's not right there physically, Prabhupāda is forever alive through his teachings and words. Words that are a one way ticket back home to the spiritual world if we're willing to listen to them. After all, "Vani is more important than Vapuh" right? Śrīla Prabhupāda ki Jaya!
Ananda Prema Devi Dasi, Turkish - Somehow or other we have all fallen into the clutches of our daily routines, chores and own struggles of material existence, and in the same way we have somehow or other come across a Krishna Bhakta, a book from Śrīla Prabhupāda perhaps, or even Śrīla Prabhupāda himself or his vani, one of which is this glorious Vanimedia.
If you have been so fortunate enough as I am to read and hear from Śrīla Prabhupāda and get connected to the Vanimedia, it is one of the best ways to begin your pursuits of human life.
As neophyte devotees, we know how important it is to read Śrīla Prabhupāda's books constantly, but hearing or translating a Vanimedia video is the shortcut to the whole philosophy of Krishna Consciousness. It not only allows you to learn the bhakti teachings and spiritual way of life in the simplest, quickest and most practical way but also awakens the desire to learn more from Śrīla Prabhupāda and read his books on the relevant subject matters. It also keeps you connected to your practice. This is how I have personally got to know Śrīla Prabhupāda, who he is and what his message is.
Nevertheless, Śrīla Prabhupāda's Vanimedia is for everyone regardless of being a bhakti practitioner or not because Śrīla Prabhupāda has got the answers to the questions of every human seeker. Vanimedia clips are short enough to stay enthused to the teachings of Śrīla Prabhupāda, to the point and palatable enough to make you ask for more. During the hustle and bustle of my daily flow, translating for Vanimedia is my shelter to stay connected to my bhakti practice and to Śrīla Prabhupāda.
I feel that my contribution is insignificant and I am not realized in any way to speak and understand such a high philosophy, but Śrīla Prabhupāda makes it possible for me to understand in his unique way of instructing and to repeat his words as I translate because Śrīla Prabhupāda is a realized person. However, I have the experience that when the time is mature, his words that we have been sucking in as Vani translators flow out from us and reach interested spiritual seekers we meet in person or through Vanimedia anytime in this cyber world. I come to not only know the philosophy but realize it in daily life if my Vani service is regular enough.
Kindly hear Prabhupada's vani in just a click to Youtube, FB or your browser and enjoy the whole range of vani offerings from one of the world's greatest spiritual leaders, Śrīla Prabhupāda and meet him in person.
Adre, Lithuania - I have just started my translating service a little bit more than a week ago, but it feels like I've been doing it all the time! I didn't expect this service would bring me so much joy. If possible, I try to do one video a day, and as Visnu Murti told me, ‘a video a day keeps maya away’ :-) This experience is so enriching… I am just on my first steps to bhakti, and all this service helps me a lot to go forward. Everyday listening to Śrīla Prabhupāda's words I feel more and more connected to his teachings, personality, and all the Krsna Consciousness philosophy. I am also a person who needs to analyze and really understand things before I do or believe them – and Śrīla Prabhupāda is answering all the questions and removing the doubts. So through this service I grow and learn many things. Moreover, I realized I started quoting Śrīla Prabhupāda to my friends or family, like “you know, I’m now translating the videos of one of the greatest spiritual teachers of this last century, and about this topic he said that…” This service is simple, but also very responsible. You can do it from whenever you are. I find the mission of “Vanimedia” very beautiful and important, and I’m really proud and happy to be the part of such a great project.
Kaan, Turkish - I really enjoy translating Śrīla Prabhupāda's speeches, it makes me feel like I am relieved from the materialistic world.
Nityangi Devi Dasi, Persian - This is not just an ordinary translating. For me it was the beginning of a very beautiful spiritual journey with the other dear devotees in our group, along the path of Krishna consciousness. During this journey, Śrīla Prabhupāda always shows us how to use our senses in seva, how to care for each other, how to be really a servant... He teaches us, that with enthusiam there is no hardness or exhaustion along this path. Everything is nice and clear, because He is always there to protect us. Anytime something happened to me, or I had a misunderstanding, there was the file to light up the way for me. I realised that; these are not just files, words, texts, videos... All is Śrīla Prabhupāda himself and his shakti.
I will never forget the marathon that we had for the last moments before beginning of 2014, Siddhesvari dasi led us enthusiastically to translate as much as we could, and we grabbed the files from each other... Every moment of that journey was magnificent... Jaya Śrīla Prabhupāda!
Siddhesvari Devi Dasi, Persian - By the mercy of Śrīla Prabhupāda, your amazing support and the devotees enthusiasm to please Śrīla Prabhupāda - hereby we happily announce we finished translating the first 640 clips. This seva had a great sub-product for us. Most of the group were not in the same city or even same country but with the grace of this seva we have now got a very inspiring and close virtual sanga now that only started because of Vani seva!
Manohari Devi Dasi, Bulgarian - Of course on the spiritual path everything is so designed, that the topics are always corresponding with the burning thoughts and feelings at the moment. You discuss something with your friend, and here it is, the same topic, in the next translated video, or in the next verse of "Charitamrita". Such "coincidences" are not surprising after certain time, as mataji noted. You don't even mention it. Anyway, it is always pleasing to get this feedback again and again.
Yet the real answer I've found within my heart is, that actually my heart is so dull and stony, that it does not feel any ecstasy to share it. The same is with the chanting. No tears, no divine rapture, nothing. This iron heart is so rusty, that it did not melt, alas... Yet what to do? What to do, but continue doing it over and over, hoping that maybe one day, by the mercy, this desert will turn into garden... Still, I am reminded of a story, that my Gurudev was telling about Śrīla Prabhupāda and which gives me some hope. Once a personal attendant of Śrīla Prabhupāda told him: "Prabhupāda, wherever we go, devotees are so happy to receive you. They are singing and dancing, even fainting with ecstasy, offering prayers and flowers, throwing themselves in your feet, shouting: "Jaya Prabhupāda! Jaya Prabhupāda!" - this is what I see wherever we go together. And poor me, I am not feeling such ecstasy. Am I so hopeless?! It means, I don't love you at all, Prabhupāda..." Śrīla Prabhupāda did not say a word. The day was passing and he still would not gave his answer. The servant became very apprehensive, maybe he had offended him greatly? At the end of the day he was serving him the diner and Prabhupāda was totally silent and very grave. After the diner was finished, the prabhu was siting at the feet of Prabhupada, doing some massage. Then all of a sudden Prabhupāda asked: "Do you like to serve me?" The prabhu answered: "Of course, Prabhupāda! Of course I like to serve you!" "You know," Prabhupāda said, "this is love."
Varaha Dasa, Yoruba - I'm glad am still able to continue with the translations. Service to Śrīla Prabhupāda's vani include preaching, book distribution, printing of books, and the continuation of book, or audio-visual translations. I was connected through book distribution for many years and now my connection is through these video translations. Thank you very much for re-animating my Prabhupāda connection. So many benedictions are coming since I started this service: I have got hectares of land donated, a house property donated with other plots of land, devotees coming from other yatras, Nigeria and South Africa to assist and further inspire us in our projects. By Śrīla Prabhupāda's mercy his service is expanding just as I am making effort to increase the translations. Thanks to Vanimedia.
Mahabhava Svarupa Devi Dasi, Bulgarian - Thank you for sharing your exchange with the Russian mataji. I have had the same realizations. Whatever questions bother me, I have found the perfect answers in the videos I am translating. It seems like I am translating exactly what I should. This is so great and comforting. That's why we get addicted to Śrīla Prabhupāda's words. Jaya Prabhupāda and Jaya Sri Nrisimha Dev!
Sofiya, Russian - Yes, it is a miracle, what is going on through the translations. Every time I start a new video, I get just the answers to the questions and issues that directly or indirectly occupy me right now. I do not even find it amazing any more. I just realize that this is how transcendental communication works.
Tulasi Maharani Devi Dasi, Mongolian - I am really happy that somehow I came in contact with the opportunity to take part in this fantastic project. It's a GREAT chance to obtain the mercy of Śrīla Prabhupāda - EVERYDAY through the most suitable and easiest way which we call the “Cyber World” for ourselves and to my native speakers - Mongolians. I really would like express my gratitude from bottom of my heart for your preaching and devotees supporting activities via Vanipedia project. Indeed, it`s the exclusive historical sublime action to please Srila Prabhupada! Uniting the WHOLE WORLD. All Glories to you and all those devotees and those who will be involved in future. Thank you for including and inspiring me (dukha) to keep going. I was hoping to translate videos in Korean and had been started studying this language due to similarity of our mother tongue (as grammatical structure ). But somehow it didn't work out. Anyway pretty sure someone will take this opportunity. Today I made only one video 0173rd on the last day of the year. It was about spreading Bhagavata Dharma as you know. Really, we need to give and preach Glories movement of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu. Eva nasty eva nasty :).
Zeyneb, Turkish - Translating the videos gives me a feeling of being in touch with the devotees who were actually listening to the speeches so many years ago. Hearing Śrīla Prabhupāda is auspicious and makes me feel good and inspired. While translating, I get a chance to think deeper into what Śrīla Prabhupāda says and this experience is more than just translating, it takes me deeper into devotional service. Thank you all for this chance.
Micha, Arabic - When I translate I feel it is amazing to be hearing Śrīla Prabhupāda's voice. It is as if I am present in his lectures. I feel so blessed to be able to do this seva and to hear his voice and hear how he explains everything in detail. The way that he speaks is very directed to the soul. These videos are amazing and a great seva so again thank you so much. All glories to Śrīla Prabhupāda.
Sarvabhauma Dasa, Bulgarian - I am really happy that I have the opportunity to share some words of experience and appreciation from my participation in this wonderful project. It has been an honor and delight to come in contact with this service opportunity and become a member of this united team of translators from all over the world with the mission to represent the immortal vani of His Divine Grace to as many languages as possible. I am really excited that my fellow countrymen and women will get in touch with the instructions and voice of Śrīla Prabhupāda which, if taken seriously, can deliver them from all kinds of problems and anxieties in life. The submissive oral reception of the sweet message of Lord Krishna transmitted by His pure devotee is all we need to become happy in this world and be transferred to the spiritual kingdom at the time of death. So I can see how great and important is this opportunity, firstly for myself to purify my own consciousness by the words emanating from the lotus mouth of the spiritual master and then to pass on those same words, as they are, in my native language for those who are eager to hear and understand them.
I would like to thank profusely to the group of devotees at VaniMedia who are putting forward so much effort and bright ideas to create opportunities for us to get involved in service to the instructions of Srila Prabhupada, the greatest spiritual master in all history. It is a pleasure to associate with and assist all the devotees in their glorious service. May the fame of Śrīla Prabhupāda be spread all over the world.
Mahabhava Svarupa Devi Dasi, Bulgarian - I have been praying to Krishna to engage me in some service and make some use of me and by the mercy of Śrīla Prabhupāda and his sincere and dedicated devotees I got the opportunity to participate in this wonderful project. Very soon I realized that I have been missing this kind of association with Śrīla Prabhupāda. Listening to his words, simple and yet charged with such deep realizations and knowledge and feeling his warmth, caring, compassion and generosity are truly life -and heart- changing. I thought how lucky I am to be able to perform this inspiring and lovely service. Every time before starting the translation I pray to Krishna and Śrīla Prabhupāda to give me intelligence so I can do my best. It is a huge responsibility to translate the words of a pure devotee and so rewarding at the same time. First I listen to the video, then I translate and in the end I listen to the video again. Just by his intonation Śrīla Prabhupāda stresses and enriches so much the meaning of the words. With just a few sentences he has the power to destroy long-lasting doubts and insecurities. When we engage our mind by listening to his words it surely becomes our best friend. I feel spiritually safe and at home.
Rohit, French - I just finished the December marathon subtitling into French. It was a very ecstatic month despite the fact I couldn't translate as much as I wanted to, but still this will remain as a very beautiful memory and experience. Now I can feel why this month was very special to Śrīla Prabhupāda.
Suvilasi Madhavi Devi Dasi, Hindi - I feel very fortunate to be able to hear from Śrīla Prabhupāda on so many topics, or is it just One? :-) I never tire of hearing him. He talks to us through his lectures and like Krishna he too is unlimited - in knowledge, in compassion - in everything. I hope and pray that Krishna willing I can continue to do this minuscule service for dear Śrīla Prabhupāda till he so desires.
Sumangala Laksmi Devi Dasi, Tamil - I started from compiling with Visnu Murti Prabhu’s team, they then taught me to create pages and compile at the same time. As I was involved in this seva I had the opportunity to read the books and lectures given by Śrīla Prabhupāda in different parts of the world. It was very inspiring that I never stopped doing it even for a day. I realized one thing. The specialty of Śrīla Prabhupāda are all the valuable treasures (Books) that he has given us. When distributed it can multiply and multiply into many millions. It is ever lasting, even after us the next generation will benefit. It’s very blissful. When I was given the opportunity to translate I felt like directly associating with Śrīla Prabhupāda. I felt it as a gift. And it is very profound. For someone aspiring to become his servant of servant, there is no greater gift than this.
Prahlada Bhakta Dasa, Akan - Kindly permit to share some thoughts about the multi language project.
I had the fortune of being invited as a translator in July, 2013 when Visnu Murti Prabhu kindly invited me to do a 3 –week vani retreat at Radhadesh. To say the least, this retreat has made a significant impact on my life as an aspiring devotee. Somehow, I had already read (from Śrīla Prabhupāda's teachings) some of the texts that I am currently translating. However, I must admit that, the direct translations of the videos have offered me a rare opportunity to reflect rather deeply on what Śrīla Prabhupāda said......or, meant. It is really amazing, how blissful it is to associate with Śrīla Prabhupāda via this means (of translating).
I depart for my home country, Ghana with a deep feeling of separation from my new friends…Saha, Rishab, Visnu Murti (and his good wife) and very recently, Linda. My prayer to Śrīla Prabhupāda and to this wonderful team of VANI WARRIORS is that They heal my grieving heart from this feeling of separation by offering me further opportunities to serve them even, in separation. I am extremely fortunate to be able to associate with Śrīla Prabhupāda at such a profound level. Many thanks to the vani team for giving me the opportunity to do this seva.
Gunamani Devi Dasi, Danish - First listen, then understand, then explain it to others. This is the essence of this service, which came to this fallen soul, praying for some association. A wonderful opportunity to associate with Śrīla Prabhupāda and become enlivened in Krishna consciousness.
Now the people of my country - friends, family, neighbors, colleagues can hear the voice of the pure devotee, the voice which reveals his mood, humor and kindness even when he uses words as "rascal", and they can read the subtitles and become Krishna conscious. Instead of a tombstone, my children and grandchildren, whom I love very much, will be able to hear of Krishna, if they want to remember me, when I am gone.
It is like putting your money in the most safe bank account in the world. Even if the world of electricity and oil collapses as could be expected, there is still no loss or diminution, since the result for this soul is everlasting and on top it is joyfully performed. I pray for the blessings of the Vaisnavas to be able to continue.
Mahalaxmi Devi Dasi, Serbian - I am very grateful for this opportunity to sprinkle my heart with a few drops from the shore-less ocean of refreshing nectar of Śrīla Prabhupāda's words. Translating one video a day enables me not only to do some minute yet very personal service to Śrīla Prabhupāda by making his words available to those uneasy with English; but it has also become something like a daily transcendental surprise - unpacking what is hidden in each drop of mercy. Despite being more and more in awe at Śrīla Prabhupāda's expertise in presenting transcendental discourses with each contact with his words, I must sadly admit that many times due to varied reasons I have failed to hear him everyday.
This service is very simple. And it is very profound. It allows me to spend time with Srila Prabhupada, serving time. For someone aspiring to become his servant, there is no greater gift than this.
Mayapur Dasa, French - Hearing from Śrīla Prabhupāda, I am impressed by his expansive knowledge of the Vedic scriptures and his masterful delivery. I am also moved by his undisputable logic and ability to invoke devotion for Krsna. These cement in my heart the conviction about his position as acharya. I know I am in safe as long as I stay with him. I appreciate my good fortune to have been directed to his teachings and pray to be given this same grace life after life, until such time that I may become eligible for entry in the spiritual world.
Translating Śrīla Prabhupāda allows me to better empathise with the challenge of passing-on descending knowledge. That the human mind cannot conceive of such superior knowledge is evidenced by its constant attempts to correlate this knowledge to the inferior empirical universe and vocabulary, in order to understand it, share it and discuss it . It is this blending with the empirical that inevitably threatens the superior Vedic paradigms with "watering down".
Irina, Russian - I like it. We have to think and then speak, not opposite :) And we have to tell what we've heard to others. Very nice.
Vijaya Baladeva Dasa, Czech - Thank you for giving me this opportunity to use some of my translating skills and at the same time to have direct association with Śrīla Prabhupāda through his teachings. Let's flood the internet with this wisdom, let's try to make Śrīla Prabhupāda's teachings well known to everybody.
Parthsarathy Mitra, Bengali - I feel greatly honored to perform this seva for our spiritual master Śrīla Prabhupāda. Apart from the joy of sharing the instructions with all prabhujees and matajees in our own mother tongue, is the opportunity of reading the nectarine words of Srila Prabhupada again and again...
Lalita Gopika Devi Dasi, Latvian - Sharing my experience in translation of Śrīla Prabhupāda's nectarean messages from Vanimedia, this possibility is truly wonderful. From my studies I have understood that translation also is an art- one can use such translation means as domestication, literal translation, addition, deletion, etc. But when we translate such an exalted personality, there must be careful consideration made, how should the target text be adapted and which words should be chosen so that it is harmonically suited to the message Śrīla Prabhupāda is giving in the video. Another important thing is that Śrīla Prabhupāda is speaking in the conversational style, which means not all the aspects can be rendered directly as they are, but should be presented in the style listeners can understand as well as the punctuation marks should be chosen accordingly…undoubtedly changes there have to be made. But the system you all have given is very well thought out.
I like the system that we can see which languages are taken, how far the subtitle making process is done. Another thing is also when we see already added subtitles, sometimes the “whole picture” asks for some more changes in the target language- then you kindly offer to check and, if needed, make the necessary changes. Because from my experience, when we read the translated text over and over again, sometimes we tend not to see some minor slips, as we know the text. Then this “whole picture” helps a lot. Therefore I can say that my experience with this project is truly positive. I just wish you all the strength and enthusiasm to further this beautiful service. Of course a very nice motivation for me is that translation in so many languages can be used by so many... and when i see the clearly formulated target, it is easier to get enthused.
Revati Devi Dasi, German - This service, this translating of Śrīla Prabhupāda's quotes for Vanipedia, is truly direct association with Śrīla Prabhupāda. I started only some days ago, and immediately I found that whatever was in my mind, Śrīla Prabhupāda was giving some answers for my questions - forty years ago! It’s not that I did not read his books, but still, this translating is much more personal.
Like in one of the first translations I did, Śrīla Prabhupāda explained, how just reading is not enough. We have to go very deep, try to really understand. And then – explain it to others! In some way, when we translate, we do exactly like this, we make Śrīla Prabhupāda's words understandable (we explain, without change) in our language. That is perfection, Śrīla Prabhupāda said. So, at least in this point I came to perfection! I feel very much blessed by being allowed to do this service!
So, in order to translate one has to penetrate very deeply into the subject matter, otherwise the result will not be understandable for others. And this absorption is connecting me - to Śrīla Prabhupāda, to Lord Caitanya's mission and to Krsna Himself. And immediately some new ideas are coming – about how to use what I read, what I learn, what I understand on a deeper (or higher) level in preaching.
That's what I like most, when I am translating, this feeling of being connected. Sometimes it’s not easy. The translation must be correct, but on the other hand understandable. And sometimes it is even difficult to understand what Śrīla Prabhupāda wanted to say. But then, when I really don't know at all how to do it – then suddenly, the inspiration is there. Not just which words to use to create the proper text, but also the deeper understanding, what Śrīla Prabhupāda wanted to say. And that's not just on an intellectual level. In these moments I feel the connection is there, I just have to be open to receive help.
For me personally, in my present situation, this is the perfect service, because I can do it, whenever there is some time and since it is quite addictive, it saves me from wasting any time. As soon as I start (“just a little bit today”) I can’t stop anymore. I did some translations before, song texts, small books and even started to translate a bigger one. But it is not the same. Not like service, but rather like just for my own pleasure. Because no one asked me to do it. No one was asking me “how is it going on?” and - last but not least when will I be able to print it?
This is different now, because what ever I translate can be read by others immediately. Furthermore this working in a team is more binding, saves one from becoming idle, gives such a deep satisfaction. I am "worried" only about one point: What will I do with my life, when this translation service will be done? I wonder where this will lead to.
Madana-mohana Mohini Devi Dasi, Polish - Śrīla Prabhupāda is saying in one of his short video clips that this is his practical experience, that while doing his reading and writing work he doesn’t feel fatigued and he takes pleasure in doing that. Well, as a new mother to a wonderful baby girl I can’t relate to it fully, as feelings of fatigue accompany me twenty four hours. Not much time and energy is there to spare for any new projects. But the pleasure in doing this translation seva… works as an addiction. Once I tried I can’t stop. One clip per day. Pleasure is bigger than fatigue. That must be the difference Śrīla Prabhupāda is talking in his lecture between material work and spiritual purpose. I wish all of you to get your spiritual sense, taste, to be part in this great project, to give to people speaking in your native languages these Pearls of Wisdom. Even if you think you have no time for it, I believe you can find it once you give it a try. That is my practical experience.
Mahesh Thali, Marathi - I am a Marathi translator from Mumbai, India. I'm thanking Visnu Murti Prabhu for selecting me to perform the devotional service to our Spiritual Master and Jagat Guru Srila Prabhupada. To become a translator, from what I can understood, is one must have read and listened to a maximum of Śrīla Prabhupāda's Lectures, Conversations, Letters and other books. Just reading purports of BG or SB is not sufficient for translation. This is because one has to understand Śrīla Prabhupāda (it's very difficult to understand him and Krsna.) to whatever extent one can. It is like getting in tune to His Divine Grace and trying to understand his message. And by having read alot of his literatures, it is helping me very much in performing this translation service. Without knowing truly His Divine Grace and his message, the translation is very difficult. The automated-translators can not understand the Vedic languages. So I have to translate the whole text myself, and that also without changing the basic essence of Śrīla Prabhupāda's original message. I'm also enjoying Sanskrit(Devanagari) typing, which I never did in my lifetime.
I like the work very much because, I've got an opportunity to listen to Śrīla Prabhupāda again and again and associate all the time with him. During translation I refer to many Marathi literatures, so my reading gets doubled. The more I'm translating, my Vedic Knowledge is getting multiplied. I'm feeling so much energized and happy doing this work. In fact day by day my hunger to listen Śrīla Prabhupāda is increasing and hence the inspiration too. It is a very big project and needs a team work. I'm congratulating everyone from our team to get such good opportunity to perform the seva to Śrīla Prabhupāda ... HariBol.....